Friday, July 07, 2006

Becoming the elder statesman

Not so long ago I was the mouthy teenager. Let's say I made life a little difficult for my mother. Not hooked on drugs and in jail difficult but I was a bit precocious. The youngest in a family of six who was around adults rather than children all the time and so on. I was what we will kindly call 'opinionated' from about the age of six.

Yet suddenly at the ripe old age of 31 I realise I am now like an elder statesman. Tantrums will have to be a thing of the past.

Like Andre Agassi at the twilight of his career and handing the baton over to younger rivals such as Nadal and Federer it seems my days in the spotlight are behind me.

You see the fact is that I can't be a brat anymore. The only person I can be obnoxious with is my husband.

The point was brought home to my during a weekend visit to my sister's house. We were having a barbecue out the back (yes in Ireland!) when I asked my teenage niece if she would get up so that I could sit down. Well I expected a rolling of the eyes which is exactly what I would have done at that age but Aoife went one step further.

She said "Oh for God sake I knew that would happen. The youngest always get moved." She complained about my tone of voice when I asked her to move. Now on one level I knew where she was coming from but I think it my civic duty to pass on the 'pain' that was inflicted on me in my youth!

So I said "Well, tough Aoife it is what would have happened to me at your age." Bit of a storm in a teacup encounter really. She went in to the house and probably ranted about me to her cousins. However, later in the evening she was only too happy to take twenty euro from me.

What really threw me was that my elderly Aunt starting going on about how my niece spoke to me. It was generally agreed that she was a brat who deserved to be reprimanded. She said for all of my brashness at that age I would never have spoken to her in the same manner.

Then the penny dropped. Forget having a child, getting married and so on. For me this was my first step in to adult hood. I realised that I can never have a big public tantrum again. Now, I haven't had one in years anyway but it is the principle of the thing.

I want to be at some family event and cause a scene! I want them to say "Yes, she will grow up and learn the hard way." I would like someone to attribute my behaviour to teenage hormones. But those days are behind me. All I see ahead is years of being good. Oh the pressure!

My only consolation is that when I get to 65 I can be obnoxious again. Oh adolescence and old age -- the two periods of your life when being rude is not only normal but expected. Roll on 65... I will give those teenagers a run for their money.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

But you forget, pregnancy is the best reason to throw public tantrums and everyone always forgives you. Alas bearing another child is your only hope. Is it worth the trade?

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home